Before permanently mounting a tracker with the included foam tape adhesive, please make sure that the tracker is able to track in its intended position. You can remove the tracker using a flat screwdriver as a lever, but the foam tape cannot be reused. However, you can purchase a new foam tape in our webshop.
You may wish to mount the tracker less permantly using for example:
- Double sided Nano gel tape
- Velcro tape
- Neodymium Magnets
- Rubber paint (not metallic)
- Plastic strips or cable ties
- Clear tape (not silver duct tape)
Feel free to get creative but please avoid mounting using any kind of metal or metallic objects. Keep in mind the technological limitations of GPS signals.
We recommend placing trackers in the cabin of vehicles, for example under a seat or rug. Place it as far as possible from metal, and with the text "Cobblestone" facing away from metal surfaces and preferably towards the sky or windows. Metal around the tracker can cause signal interference due to how GPS signals work.
Good places to mount a tracker:
- Under a seat or rug
- Under a blanket or in a first aid bag
- In the trunk (if the back seats are mostly plastic and textile)
- Behind a plastic panel (without wiring inside)
Problematic places to mount a tracker:
- Glove compartments (too obvious and may have metal objects inside)
- Engine compartment (too hot and too much metal)
- In or on the dashboard (too hot under the window and too many wires inside)
GPS signals have no problem getting through glass, plastic or wood, but will not get through silver paints, duct tape or even a bag of chips or aluminium foil. Buildings, roofs and basements can also interfere with GPS signals.
A general rule of thumb is that a basketball should be able to reach the tracker without touching metal.
If you require more specific advice, please send a picture and a name and model/type of the vehicle you wish to track, and we will do our best to advise.